The Atkins and Murphy Reflective Model

The Atkins and Murphy Model is something I have been looking into today and I thought I'd explain a little bit about it and share the info-graphic I created to show the model...


First of all, what is reflective practise? "Reflective practice is a way of studying your own experiences to improve the way you work"

Reflective practise is really important in my role because I am developing materials for teachers and I'm working in education meaning I often to need to evaluate what I have been creating to ensure the learners are still learning from what I have created. I think all reflective theories are helpful for Digital Learning/ Instructional designers as it gives us something to work from when we are evaluating the work we have created especially eLearning packages. I chose to speak about this model because it would be the most beneficial for me when I have done training sessions with teachers or any other sessions as you're mainly reflecting on any situations you have come across. Therefore when I am doing these activities I can reflect on them afterwards. Also I had never done much on this model too therefore I thought it would be a good idea to widen my knowledge in that area.
 
As much as I think this model can really work for some situations I'm not sure how beneficial it is for evaluating eLearning packages. I definitely know a few better reflective cycles I could work from e.g. Kolbs, or The Gibbs Reflective Cycle.

Before you start evaluating or reflecting, do you have the skills to reflect on your own work? 

This may seem an odd question as why would you need skills to evaluate, however if I didn't have the willingness to improve my knowledge and design skills, I doubt my work would ever change. I'd probably think my work was perfect which is never the case, even a really good piece of work can be improved. Some people may struggle when evaluating as they might be reluctant to change any of their work because they don't think it needs improving, you definitely need to be open minded.


Using peer and self assessment in reflective practise is really useful as getting advice from your peers means you're gathering different ideas. Sometimes ideas which you may not have thought of.

Peer assessment is: "Peer assessment is a process through which students and instructors share in the evaluation of student work."

And self assessment is: "Self-assessment requires students to reflect on their own work and judge how well they have performed in relation to the assessment criteria."

Where I work now we often have quality check meetings involving self and peer assessment, which I believe helped me to develop the skills I need to evaluate my work and develop my design skills in general. Whenever someone gave me some constructive criticism I always change what they have suggested therefore I can see the difference and see if it does improve my work. Other ways we use peer and self assessment in my job is when I have posted some of my work on Yammer or Moodle, my colleagues can then comment or email me back with their ideas or anything they feel needs changing. Doing this is helping to develop your critiquing and judgment skills as you're giving other people ideas on how to improve your work or by giving yourself better ideas. You need these skills for reflective practise.

However there can be times where there may be barriers to reflection meaning some things can get in the way of reflecting. For example you may be confident in what you have already produced therefore you may not want to make any changes or the opposite could be you have a lack of self-confidence so if you're wanting to change the work you have created you may not have the confidence to do so. Personally the barrier I find the most challenging when I am reflecting on my work is having a lack of time to do so as I always have projects on the go therefore I might not get as much time as I should do to reflect. I think this will be an ongoing target for me to try and reflect on things more whether that's an eLearning project or a one to one training session.

Thank you for reading!

“Sometimes, you have to look back in order to understand the things that lie ahead.”  Yvonne Woon

Sarah x

2 comments:

  1. Microsoft Outlook calendar is a calendar Scheduling program on mails and it helps in fixing various multiple appointments for meetings, organizing programs and events, cluster scheduling, etc. It is integrated with various features like contacts, emailing, etc. Google and Microsoft both provides an open standard “iCal” feature that could be used for exchanging calendar schedules between systems and its users.
    Regards: microsoft cortana or expiration notification

    ReplyDelete