Learning Technologies Event 2015: My experience

5 and a half hours later, we had finally arrived at the Olympia London...

Being able to surround myself with a vast amount of people interested in e-Learning was a great experience. Not only was I able to see ideas other people had on e-Learning, the day gave me a chance to share what I was doing with big companies that may have been interested in my skills and what I do.

Olympia London
Learning Technologies Event 2015 Sign
After wandering the floor for 5 minutes our stand was in sight, Design e-learn. Throughout the day we all had a chance to explore the event. I loved speaking to so many different companies, most seemed really interested in what I do as it is a new qualification so not many people have heard of it. Vivo were an interesting company to speak to, they have software similar to Captivate but it seemed to run a lot smoother, it was good to see other software than captivate that I could potentially use in the future when creating e-learning designs. When I first started this apprenticeship I always came across the e-Learning brothers templates and downloadable games, they had given me so much inspiration for creating e-Learning packages especially the way they set out their interactions. Meeting them was lovely, the enthusiasm about their product was very uplifting, it made me want to listen to what they were talking about. Since then I have been using their free services to get a few presenters and graphics, and I feel like it has helped me a lot when creating captivate projects, hopefully one day I'll be able to use the full subscription.
E-Learning Brothers wristband

Among the many freebies I had acquired over the whole day I found a leaflet in my bag, inside read 'How could your e-Learning programmes be better?'. This got me thinking. How could the e-Learning designs I create engage learners? How do I get them to enjoy it? To remember information? And then it came to me, a story! An e-Learning story! Something that learners will remember and be able to take part in.

The Sponge UK stand offered us a sponge on string after telling them about what we do, another quirky freebie I had obtained. The way they use the idea of e-Learning being absorbed is interesting and is something I am going to take into my designs, I want the learners to remember this information and absorb it into their memory. I think going back to the e-Learning story idea I have had, this is a good example in which I can get the learners to remember the information I am giving to them.

Sponge UK
Despite the around 10 hour journey to London and back, the day was successful and I enjoyed meeting new people and other people interested in e-Learning.


"Learning is not the product of teaching. Learning is the product of the activity of learners." —John Holt

Sarah x


No comments:

Post a Comment