New blog, Future, & Education struggles

I've seen a lot of tweets lately regarding GCSE's, College, Sixth Form, & University, so I thought I'd share my experiences to help some of you guys out. As you can see this is my first blog post and has nothing to do with e Learning which my blog will be based around, but choosing what you're going to do in the future when you're young is difficult and I know that...

I'm 18 years old, a few years ago I had the struggle of choosing the GCSE's I wanted to take. This would be something that could potentially help choose my career. That was a scary thought for 14 year old me. I had always known that I love to be creative but I knew that Art & Design and Product Design weren't 'academic' subjects. However that didn't stop me from choosing these subjects for my GCSE's, just because these subjects weren't like Triple Science or German it didn't mean I didn't want to do them. I believe that you should always do what you feel is right, obviously listen to your parents and teachers or whoever you speak to about these decisions but don't let them influence you into doing something that you may or may not want to do. For those two 'non academic' subjects I chose I got my highest marks, 2 A* and I'm proud of myself for doing something I wanted to do.

After making them choices everything else seemed to go so fast for me, it wasn't long after that I had to start applying for colleges and sixth forms. I visited many open days, some places were perfect, but some not so much. After a long thinking process I decided to apply for Cleveland College of Art & Design...

I chose to do A-levels in:

History of Art
Psychology
Fine Art
Graphic Design

These were and still are subjects I am extremely passionate about and would have helped me get to the dream of becoming a Art Therapist hence why I chose them. However college wasn't what it seemed, I wasn't happy. Don't get me wrong the actual college itself was amazing, and I was so privileged to be one of the 20 or so students doing A-levels but I didn't enjoy the experience and I knew quite quickly college wasn't for me. I'm not saying to you guys that you should quit college or leave education because you are just unhappy, it took me a long time to decide that it was the right thing for me personally. All I am saying is that if you feel something isn't right or you're not feeling yourself, it is ok to opt out of things and start again. 

I'm probably not making much sense to you right now but I just thought I'd share with you my experience.

Now...

I recently got an apprenticeship, in a totally different career path than what I had originally planned. Of course I'm still being creative because that is something I love to do. The apprenticeship is Digital Learning Design, I won't go into too much detail as it is quite a wide subject, but I mainly design and create e Learning material for students to use as well as creating posters. It's such a rewarding job, I get to support future generations with good learning materials that can help them with the courses they are doing in the college. I never realised how much I'd love working in education but it's great and I can see myself doing this for a long time.
A Learning package I have created x



A poster I created for a christmas page x

I guess the message I'm trying to put across is that your first decision isn't your last, I got a second chance and now I'm doing something I love. 

Just do you...

Sarah x

No comments:

Post a Comment